Farmer's Use of Composted Manure on Crop Fields/Pastures Rather than Using Raw Manure
- Gives a slow release of nitrogen back to the soil and plant intake.
- Binds the P to compost particles, reducing Phosphorous runoff.
- Kills manure pathogens (bacteria) yet provides bacteria beneficial to soil.
- Kills weed seeds.
- Increases soil moisture retention in sandy soils.
- Adds porosity which provides moisture drainage for heavy clay soils.
- Aerates soil if worked into the topsoil.
- Increases water holding capacity - especially helpful in dry weather.
- Compost doesn't add any chemicals to soil as fertilizer does.
- Decreases future years requirement of herbicide chemical treatment.
- Decreases future years requirement of pesticide chemical treatment.
- Decreases future years fertilizer requirements.
- Adds organic matter to soil, fertilizer does not.
Advantages of AG-BAG composting system:
- No weather or changes in weather conditions concerns.
- Control of odors produced from raw or lagoon manures & control of leachate (runoff) concerns.
- Less composting maintenance compared to any other method of composting.